HISTORY

The Holy Trinity Cathedral located on North Street near downtown Kingston is an architectural and aesthetic marvel. Not only for its 85 foot high copper dome-one of the only structures of its kind in the Caribbean, nor for its magnificent organ of which only five of its kind exist in the Caribbean-but for the intricate and ornate murals and decorative artwork on the inner walls, dating back to the original structure which was built in 1911. The edifice was declared a National Heritage Site by the Jamaican Government in the year 2000.

In 1911 the Holy Trinity Cathedral, one of the Caribbean’s most impressive landmarks, opened its doors to a large congregation on North Street in Kingston, Jamaica after the original Roman Catholic Church, the Holy Trinity church, was destroyed by a shattering earthquake in 1907. Designed by Raymond F. Admiral and decorated by Brother Francis c. Shroen, an American Jesuit. The Cathedral was and to this day remains one of the most magnificent architectural designs in the English speaking Caribbean. Its exterior was designed to reflect the then popular Byzantine revival style and the interior of this grand edifice featured over 3000 feet of inlaid decorative murals and mosaic art artwork, four large minarets decorated with stained glass, and an 85 foot high copper dome and one of the region’s most dynamic organs.

With more than 3,000 square feet of murals and frescos on its ceiling and walls, Kingston’s Holy Trinity is, undoubtedly, the most beautiful church in Jamaica and one of the most beautiful in the Caribbean. It covers 12,600 square feet.

The Awesome Splendor of Kingston’s Holy Trinity Cathedral

With more than 3,000 square feet of murals and frescos on its ceiling and walls, Kingston’s Holy Trinity is, undoubtedly, the most beautiful church in Jamaica and one of the most beautiful in the Caribbean. It covers 12,600 square feet.

Restoring the Cathedral, and the Community — HOLY TRINITY CATHEDRAL

The magnificence of the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity located on North Street (downtown Kingston) is more than merely an ecclesiastical triumph for Roman Catholics, it is one that can hopefully be embraced by the people of Jamaica, particularly those in the city of Kingston.

The Holy Trinity Cathedral was erected after the destruction of the Holy Trinity Church, on the corner of Duke and Sutton streets, in the 1907 earthquake and relocated from its original site to the 'Colmar Estate' adjoining Winchester Park. In 1908, construction of the new structure began. But it would take until February 1911 for the magnificent edifice to eventually open its doors. At its pinnacle, copper dome gleaming from a distance; it stood at 85 feet, its area covering an impressive 12,600 square feet. Since then, the Holy Trinity Cathedral has served as the appropriate setting for many a major event, including the ordination of priests, honorary visits by the Pope, and funeral and memorial services for prominent public figures.Type your paragraph here.